If you own a car that has a sun-roof, then you’re most probably pleased to enjoy warm sunlight in the winter season and cold air in the summer season. But, if you have a leaking sun-roof, you may have to deal with freezing rain or falling snow in the winter season. Leaking sun-roofs are pretty easy to fix, which is why you shouldn’t worry much about the same.
Most of the time, a leaky sun-roof is caused due to a clogged up drain tube. The result is that the water falling on the car’s roof overflows the drain tube. And thus the water molecules enter the vehicle interiors. The repairing process is pretty straightforward, and the following set of instructions will help you with the same.
Step-By-Step Guide In Fixing A Leaking Sun-Roof
We suggest following the below-mentioned steps to fix your leaking sun-roof properly:
- According to professional services for mobile mechanics in Sydney, the first step you need to undertake is to open your sun-roof and then locate all the drain holes. You can find them mainly on both front corners (the drain pipes run through the door pillars and ultimately on the outside).
- Please don’t proceed to blast compressed air through the drain pipes or poke through them as the pipes may get damaged. And if the tube gets damaged, the whole line will need to be replaced. Therefore, you need to be careful with the cleaning procedure.
- The primary cleaning procedure that you should follow to remove debris from the draining pipe is to use a traditional vacuum cleaner. However, you have to utilise a trap adapter with your vacuum cleaner. The trap adapter can easily be fitted onto the metal part of the vacuum cleaner’s neck. And then proceed to send all the air through a small tube piece.
- Proceed to attach the trap adapter to the end of your vacuum cleaner’s tube. And then the adapter to the drain hole. Turn on the vacuum cleaner, and it should suck away all the debris quickly.
If the sun-roof doesn’t get cleared by now, then it would be a good idea to take your vehicle to a specialist right away.
Procedures To Maintain Your Sun-Roof In The Best Possible Manner
If you don’t want to face any issues with your sun-roof. Then you need to ensure that you maintain your sun-roof in the best possible manner. And to do that, we’d suggest the following methods:
It should come as no surprise that regular cleaning is the way to go if you want the most effective & functional way of maintaining the same. You can perform the cleaning procedure via the following steps:
- Firstly, open your sun-roof and then clean the entire visible area. You can use a vacuum cleaner, if necessary.
- Proceed to wipe down any moving part and the roof’s gasket with the help of a toothbrush, soft cloth and an automotive cleaner. Moreover, it would help if you also cleaned the tracks and slides.
- Take a small amount of heat-resistant, lightweight grease and then apply it to all the moving parts.
- If you want to clean the glass of your sun-roof. You should be using a cleaner that doesn’t include vinegar or ammonia.
Look Out For Common Problems
If you’re noticing scraping and popping noises from your car’s sun-roof, then it’s not a good sign to behold. Ensure that you clean your lubricate your sun-roof at least once or twice per month.
If the noises persist, then visit a professional car technician right away.